Hello to all those faithfully reading and hopefully enjoying this effort to make even the worst horror movie more watcha... aw, screw that - I'm not that good. If a movie makes you cringe because yet another batch of unlikable teens that are pushing 30 are inching toward their deaths, having a party no one does anywhere ever, a paranormal movie is boring you to tears with unending pans of empty rooms, or thanks to CGI technology when people finally bite it, their blood squirts everywhere except on the victim, the ground, the people next to them... you're in good company and this is the right place for you.

Saturday, June 20, 2015

HUH, THIS LOOKS PRETTY SWEET AND ANOTHER SOURCE OF HORROR MOVIES IS ALWAYS WELCOME... YAY THEY'RE LETTING ME TRY OUT THE BETA VERSION AND IT'S ACTUALLY REALLY WORTH A LOOK...






Shudder

Just a quick word about yet another horror movie streaming service that currently is in the Beta version (not available to the public yet).


You have to go to www.shudder.com and they'll tell you to submit your email to be notified when the service is available. I got to see the Beta version yesterday - the site is pretty slick and yes, there are some movies that are the same as on other sites, but perusing through it I found plenty I'd never heard of.


It even has an 'idiot screen' (my words) that runs 24 hours a day if you can't decide on which movie to check out. There is closed captioning available - if the movie has it. The streaming is smooth, it does stutter a bit if I try to do other things while a movie is playing but not badly.

Then I went there again today (June 20, 2015) and I was 'bumped' off and told again to submit my email in order to get word of when I could join. Bummer. Hmm, wonder if they found out I'm Native American...




Cause TV is pretty much passe' these days for horror lovers. Chiller? Okay - if you want to watch Buffy all day and a worn out movie on Friday nights. SyFy channel? One or two decent shows, and the rest filled up with just... stuff. IFC? Please. FX? Nope. I love Archer but I can see that somewhere else and I don't need to see a blockbuster five times in one week thank you, especially if I didn't like it in the first place (same goes for you Spike and TNT). 

AMC? Well they do have The Walking Dead. It's kind of dragging now though, isn't it? Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, and Justified are all going away. What's left? Hundreds of sports channels, 'buy my crap' channels, 'DIY - if you're an expert' channels. For roughly a Benjamin each month? Pffft. Shudder IS from AMC so at least they're trying. But...


Local channels? Well they were mainly for the local news which we never watch (same thing every day). Sunday night used to be my cartoon night, a holy night - SHE SAID JUST KIDDING GOOD GRIEF WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? But, heaven help the person who messed with those (except when some schmuck named Bin Laden got killed) but I can see those in lots of places if I wanna.

I can understand why these new services are popping up. With Screambox, you get a month free and then $3.99 a month. As long as they keep the movies changing, watching a month of horror for the price of what we used to rent one of them for is a pretty good deal - and its streaming also is pretty smooth.

With Shudder they give you 2 months, and then it's $4.99 a month. Update 6/21/15 - Shudder put me back on the sight and yeah, there's some good movies among the meh stuff, enough to keep me busy for a while. Cool.





Netflix has horror, but it's very limited, and Hulu - pfft. I guess that's cheaper than cable or satellite but Hulu is buggier than shit. Netflix IS the superior streaming source and has closed captioning, but not a lot of younger people want to watch old TV shows, cartoons, chick flicks, romcoms, and, <shudder> zomcoms. Netflix has also developed the nasty habit of dropping movies with very little warning, and keeping sequels but dropping the originals.

So. Sign up for www.shudder.com if you want to see if there's something for you to enjoy. I know I saw movies I couldn't wait to tear apart.





                      

No comments:

Post a Comment